EmailDoor.com – Email Marketing Support
Travel is starting to pick back up again, albeit slowly, and this is being reflected in search trends on Pinterest.
Over 850,000 people passed through U.S. airport security checkpoints Aug. 16, nearly 10 times the numbers being seen in early April, when Covid-19-related lockdown orders began to take effect, Pinterest said in a blog post, citing data from the Transportation Security Administration.
However, with the pandemic still top-of-mind, Pinterest saw an uptick in searches for car-centered vacations in June compared with the same month last year, including cross-country road trip (89%) and road trips routes (248%).
The great outdoors is also trending on the platform, with searches for lake weekend up 41% year-over-year in June, while national parks were up 60% and RV camping trips skyrocketed by 1,257%.
Some Pinners are still taking to the skies, with searches for airplane essentials up 173%, while vacation spots saw a 260% jump.
Pinterest shared five tips for marketers in the sector, with examples of how some brands are already taking action:
- Help travelers imagine the future: With its parks and retail stores closed, Disney Parks used Pinterest to share recipes for some of its park treats, as well as virtual rides.
- Reassure travelers by sharing your plans for safety and trust: French hospitality brand Accor’s Ibis Hotels offered increased flexibility with bookings to give travelers peace of mind.
- Keep travel within reach: Hilton is featuring inspirational travel ideas closer to home, including staycations, getaways and day trips.
- Stay on top of the trends: When Southwest Airlines saw the bump-up in Pinterest searches for national parks, it crafted customized creative to help travelers visualize trips to those sites, including Pinterest trend badges on its series of Pins.
- Personalize your message based on people’s passions: Visit California studied Pinterest travel personas in order to ensure that its campaigns were appealing to people’s passions for travel, including wellness, spa, family, adventure and foodie experiences.